The School of Engineering (IST), known informally in Portuguese as the Técnico, was created in 1911 following the division of the former Lisbon Industrial and Commercial Institute.
In 1930 IST, which had been operating for 20 years, was one of the four Schools that became part of the newly established The Technical University of Lisbon.
Since then, a thorough education in basic sciences, complemented by specialised training that is kept up-to-date with technological progress, has always been the basis of IST's educational system. It is also the key to explaining the high quality of engineers that the school has trained generation after generation and the important role that many of them have played in Portugal's development.
Since its foundation, IST has continued to grow in terms of both quality and quantity, making increasingly important contributions to Portugal's social and economic development.
High-quality university education and R&D, in increasing synergy with the economic sector, are the hallmarks of today's IST. This is why it is considered, both in Portugal and abroad, as one of the great schools of engineering, science and technology, on a par with the best Schools in the world in these areas.