The origins of the School of Economics and Management (ISEG) date back to the Aula de Comércio, which was established in 1759. In 1844 it was annexed to the Lisbon Lyceum as the School of Commerce. In 1869 the school was integrated into the Industrial Institute of Lisbon, which then became known as the Industrial and Commercial Institute of Lisbon. In 1884 an Advanced Course in Commerce was first offered and the institute split into the Technical Institute and the Institute of Commerce in 1911.
In 1930 the Institute of Commerce merged with three other technical schools, whose current names are the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, the School of Agronomy and the School of Engineering, to form the Technical University of Lisbon. This later expanded to include the School of Social and Political Sciences, the Faculty of Human Kinetics and the Faculty of Architecture, and it was then that the Institute of Commerce changed its name to the Higher Institute of Economics and Financial Sciences. It was renamed the School of Economics in 1972. In 1990 the school adopted its current name, the School of Economics and Management (ISEG).
The School of Economics and Management has always sought to be a leader among Portuguese tertiary institutions that teach economics and management. Not only has it done so through creating new courses, constantly updating curricula, and teaching and learning methods, but, through its research centres, it has also sought to play a dynamic role in the production of knowledge and its application in Portuguese society. In addition ISEG has regularly provided high quality services to economic agents in the wider community. Moreover, it has promoted fruitful international scientific and cultural exchange.
The courses ISEG offers today bear witness to its evolution: 5 Bachelor degrees (one of them in partnership with the Faculty of Human Kinetics), 23 Masters and 6 PhD programmes, all in keeping with tertiary education in Europe. In addition ISEG offers a wide range of post-graduate courses, and it has 6 research centres with accreditation by the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT). These research centres have been awarded high grades in evaluations by the Foundation.